Bibimbap itaa very popular Korean dish which simply means mixed rice, so it’s totally personal prefrence what you want to add or remove. It’s a rice bowl with a variety of toppings.
Here is my take on the dish.Disclaimer this is not the classic recipe just my way of making it.
- 1 large thinly sliced carrot
- 1/2 head of thinly sliced cabbage
- 1/2 kilo thinly sliced cabbage
- 1/2 cup sliced shittake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup boiled spinach
- 1 egg(crispy fried egg with runny yolk)
- 1 cup boiled sticky rice (preferably left over rice)
- 1 teaspoon Chinesefive spice
- 1-2tablespoon sesame oil
- Spring onions
- 1/4 cup sambal olek
- 1/4 cup tablespoon hoison sauce
- 1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 soy sauce reduced sodium
- Once you have all the ingredients ready all you need to do is really cook every component separately one by one.
- Starting with the carrots sautee then and add a little salt. Make sure you don’t over cook them you still want some crunch to it.
- Do the same to the cabbage and mushrooms.
- Cook the spinach and add seasoning to it. Keep all the veggies separately and do no mix it .
- Cook the chicken well,add chinese five spice ,salt,pepper,garlic and make sure it has some colour to it.
- In a large open wok take the sesame oil and fry the rice for about a minute to give it a crisp edge.Tossing and turning quickly
For the sauce:
- Simply are all sauce to a frying pan and let it simmer till reduced.
In a wide bowl add the rice to the base and top it with half of the sauce.Now,add chicken to one side, assorted veggies to the other,bean sprots to the other while the top is covered.
Now add the rest of the sauce and top with a fried egg and a wedge of a lemon.
-I kept the rice separate as my yongest sister likes her rice separate,also we don’t like half cooked eggs so I cooked mine completely.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe.Do let me know how you liked it.