Pulao is a popular rice dish of south Asia.Its cooked in different styles in different countries.My personal Favorite is the typical beef pulao and kabli pulao(Afghani style).The pulao recipe I am sharing with you all is very special to me because I have spent my entire childhood enjoying this.This is my grandmothers recipe and this dish is a must in our dinner and Eid.I have always messed up rice but this time I followed her recipe for the first time,I was surprised how it came out so well.
NOTE: READ THE COMPLETE RECIPE A FEW HOURS BEFORE YOU GET INTO IT.THIS RECIPE CAN ONLY BE MADE FROM SAYLA RICE.
- Beef 1 kg ( cut in cubes)
- Ginger (1 inch piece)
- Garlic cloves -5
- Black pepper corns -10
- Bay leaf-2
- Onion-1 (cut in halves)
- water 4 litres
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium red onion
- 1 table spoon Garam Masla
- 1 table spoon ginger paste
- 1 table spoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cooking oil 1/4 cup
- Sayla Rice 2 mugs.(long grained rice,available in all indian stores)
- Wash and soak the rice in cold water for 3 hours.
- In a pressure cooker add all the beef stock ingredients and close the pressure cooker. You need to give it a 30 minute pressure so the beef is nice and tender.
- Once your beef stock is ready,strain all the stock in a bowl separating the stock and beef in separate bowls.
- In a large open pan,heat the oil, add onions,garlic,ginger and cook till they are nice and translucent.Make sure your flame is not too high.
- Once the onions are translucent add the beef cubes,salt,garam masala.At this stage make sure your flame is high..stir well and cook the beef and onions together.
- Add 4 mugs of beef stock and bring to rapid boil.
- when the stock starts boiling,remove the water from the rice and quickly add the rice in the stock.cook for 5 minutes of high flame and cover it.
- keep checking on the rice,there should be about 1 cup water left in the rice,then decrease the flame!!!!
- Place a piece of flat bread on top of the rice on the other hand heat a coal. When the coal is red hot ,pick it with a pair of tongs and place on top ;quickly cover the lid and a kitchen towel place on top.At this stage decrease the flame to minimum.This ensures that maximum smoke penetrates through the rice.Make sure the pan is covered tightly.keep it covered for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes check if its nice soft then serve them in an open dish.
Hope you enjoy this dish
comment for feedback,like ,follow for more recipes