This was my grand aunts recipe. She was famed in the army for amazing cooking. And our family still love and use on a daily basis her recipes to the extent we know them by heart even though she has left us quite a while ago. So basically you read the name and you’re like ‘ugh dates!’. But trust me the dates just turn into toffee in this and its like you’ll never want to eat cake from outside again.
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup oil or butter
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup dates chopped and pitted
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 50 grams butter
- 2 packets cream
- Add the dry condiments first. Mix the flour and baking powder so that it raises equally and you have a nice level cake and then add in the cinnamon.
- Whip the eggs and add in the butter (you get a nicer texture with whipped eggs.) And in the end obviously add in the dates,I like the gooey sticky sort because they somehow hold the cake together and at the same time give a sort of toffee texture. But any other dates are fine too.
- Now oil a pan and pop it in the oven preheated at 180°c for 45 mins wait for it to raise and keep an eye on it because every oven has a mind of its own and if you feel that its not golden enough yet or too pale then adjust the heat to a few degrees less or more. Now my favourite part the caramel sauce.
- Dump everything in the pan (yes easiest sauce ever.) The butter, brown sugar and cream. (Yes this will make you fat. But really really happy.)
- Mix it together and on a low heat until the sugar dissolves and you get a nice creamy translucent sort of sauce which you can put on almost everything.
- Once your cake is baked and you have the sauce, you can either choose to keep it as a whole cake and put it In a shallow dish and pour the lovely golden extremely diabetes causing sauce on it or Slice the cake into square and arrange them on a nice platter and pour the sauce on top.
Serve it fresh and warm that’s the best way or just microwave it.
Easy to serve to guests and every piece gets some sauce.
We love it on ice cream and every other dessert.
Hit like,comment for feedback and follow for more recipes
Guest blogging 😀