Americans may claim that they introduced pretzels but it was Germany that own pretzels.Its one of those snacks that is enjoyed with a hot cup of tea or coffee and has a vast variety of flavoring. You can decorate it with all sorts of toppings from chocolate to sesame or even coconut flakes.
- 2 1/4 tsp dried yeast
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup flour ( some more for kneading)
- 2 tbsp butter softened
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-3tbsp vegatable oil
- 1tbsp water
- 1 egg beaten
- Form yeast in a bowl by mixing sea salt,sugar,water,yeast.Let it aside so sugar is absorbed,this usually takes under 10 minutes.
- Rub butter and flour together to form a breadcrumb texture,add the yeast mix.
- Mix it with a wooden spoon,brush a bowl with vegetable oil.
- Place the dough and cover.Keep in a warm place for one hour.
- After it magically doubles in sizes cut in 12 pieces.
- Place them on a oil greased tray for 20 minutes to let it rise.Mean while pre-heat oven 270 degree centigrade.
- In a pot fill in water,add sugar and the soda.
- Make the pretzels heart kind off shape and lower each pretzel for a few minutes (1-2 min) cook on either side.
- drain on a wire rack and place on the tray again.
- Mix 1 tbsp water in egg and brush it evenly all over the pretzels,sprinkle sesame,coconut over it.Cook for 15 minutes or till hard and golden.
make sure you check them time to time.
Hope you enjoy the recipe.
don’t forget to comment below