Mexican food is popular all around the world .They have different variety of foods in their cuisine and it is a blend of Spanish cooking and European. The staple Mexican food is corn,chilli peppers, beans and Mexicans absolutely love salsa.
Most of the Mexican dishes are made tortillas either made from corn, flour,maze,whole wheat and other kind of flour. You can season them with different flavors. These are very thin flat breads and can be easily made at home.
- 3 cups flour
- 5 tbsp vegetable shortening or lard or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm tap water
- In a food processor combine 2 ¾ cup of flour. Mix the shortening or lard well that it combines completely.
- With the machine running pour the warm water gradually and mix. Once the dough is formed take it out and knead it gently with the remaining flour.
- Divide into equal 10 balls, place on a flat surface and cover with plastic for good 30 minutes.
- Once that’s done, take each ball and make 7 inch flat bread (chapattis) out of it and keep a cling in between each.
- Cook on a hot griddle for 20-45 sec flipping them over again and again.
Note: The dough should be medium stiff, not to soft not too hard
To get the same of a taco,when you take it of the griddle fold it over a rolling pin and let it cool.you can use the tortillas for a few days if you keep them in the fridge in a zip lock.And re-heat them in a foil envelope in the oven for 10 minutes (100ºC)
BEEF MINCE INGREDIENTS:
- In a non-stick pan, put 2tbsp oil and mince together.
- Cook for 10 minutes on low heat till the mince leaves its water.
- Add salt and ½ cup water, when all the water is absorbed by the mince add bbq sauce, ketchup, garlic powder, tomatoe purre,pizza sauce and cook well.
- Once its absorbed all the sauces and the colour of the mince changes to red dish out
- 6 tomatoes diced
- 2 Fresh red onions finely sliced
- 1 cup fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Mix all vegetables in a bowl and mix well and pour lemon juice over it.
You can serve it all separately or make individual serving yourself for family & friends
Hope you enjoy making these as much as I did.